Yard Crashers, DIY Weekend, Desperate Landscapes… you’ve heard or seen them all. Well now you too can be apart of the DIY phenomenon. Did you know that you can install artificial grass yourself?
It’s true. You can.
Not only can you get your hands dirty and feel the accomplishment that you, yourself, made a huge contribution to beautifying your yard… you are saving water and being environmentally friendly all at the same time.
Here’s how you do it:
- Excavate out the existing grass/dirt down about 3” below the cement line or subgrade.
- Cap off all of the existing sprinklers that will be underneath the artificial grass. Make sure that you pull drip lines to surrounding plants/trees that would be effected by the capping of the sprinklers
- Lay down a geotextile weed fabric.
- Lay about a 2-3” base of a Class II base rock and decomposed granite.
- Grade and compact the area.
- Lay out the artificial grass and cut to the desired shape. This can be done with a back cutter or even a simple box knife.
- Use seaming cloth and XGS turf adhesive to secure down all seams.
- Secure the material down with 6” galvanized nails every 4-6” around the perimeter and up and down any seams.
- Power broom or brush up the turf using a hard bristle push broom to get the blades of the artificial grass to stand up properly.
and Voila, you’ve got beautiful green grass year round.
So the big question now. Where do I get all of the stuff? Here, at SYNLawn, is your answer.
We carry most all of the products and accessories that you need to install your very own artificial grass. The only material that we do not carry is the base rock and decomposed granite. We work with many rockeries in Central California and can point you in the right direction. We carry many of our artificial grass products in stock, so you could be installing your new SYNLawn this weekend!
Call our office to get started. 559.472.3454